While on my journey to become a Master Herbalists I have learned so much about how herbs can be useful in your diet and for many health issues that we may experience from day to day. It’s amazing how something so natural and easily available can serve so many purposes. The best part is that herbs can be used to heal ailments as opposed to medication which only masks the symptoms of the ailment. Another amazing fact is that you can consume them in different ways from adding them fresh or dried to your meals to diffusing them as tea. If you are like me I am sure you couldn’t imagine how to incorporate certain herbs in your daily diet. So to help us all on this journey to a healthier lifestyle I will share some information on the herbs and their characteristics as well as some practical uses.
Oregano contains many health benefits:
- Its benefits include fights infections, treats cold, flu, cough and overall respiratory issues
- Oregano is also a natural antibiotic for common infections like yeast.
- Can help lower cholesterol
- Improve gut health
- Has antioxidant properties which protect the body from damage caused by free radicals (toxins) in the environment.
You can use leaves dry or fresh. When used in cooking the flavor of oregano gives your dish a Mediterranean flavor.
- Can use in veggie dishes, like stir-frys which is a favorite of mine
- Can add to a beans
- Can add to fish
- Can add flavor to chili
- pizza and pata sauces
- use as marinade
- add a few leaves to your salad
Best added to dishes toward the end of cooking.
To get the most nutrients and release the herb’s flavors chop, crush or grind leaves.
Add small amount to avoid making the dish have an overwhelmingly bitter taste..
Another option that is helpful if you want to benefit from the nutrients’ of the herb but
1 tbsp. fresh or dried leaves
1 cup boiling water
honey to taste.
Crush leaves and place in a
Strain and add honey to taste
Contains the following properties: anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant.
- Can be used for digestive problems, respiratory issues and to neutralize certain viral and fungal bacteria.
- Also beneficial in treating skin inflammation.
Can be used fresh or dried for culinary purposes to add an earthy flavor with a slight minty taste.
- Can use in seasoning or marinades of meat
- Add to soups or stocks
- Add to vegetables, fish, and more
Tip: The longer the her cooks the more flavor it adds to dishes.
Add 1teaspoon of dri
Cover herbs with 2 cups of boiling water
Simmer for 15 minutes
Strain and add lemon, ginger and/or honey to taste.
To prepare from Thyme Powder:
Tea can also be used as a mouthwash and to treat respiratory issues like Bronchitis and to soothe a sore throat.
It contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Can be used to ease PMS symptoms
- lower bad cholesterol
- ease joint pain
- ease feelings of depression
- fight viral infections from herpes to the flu
Herb mostly used as a dried herb, not found as a fresh root in too many places. It has a pungent, bitter flavor.
- Can use to season meat
- Add flavor to eggs
,tofu, and roast vegetables
- Add to rice for color and mild flavor
Best if used in small amounts
Turmeric can be taken as a supplement for the body but must be paired with black pepper for the body to absorb the nutrients of turmeric. Turmeric contains an active ingredient called curcumin which gives it health benefits: anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. This ingredient is not easily absorbed into the bloodstream. So it is best used in conjunction with black pepper which has a compound called piperine. that increases the absorption rate of curcumin into the bloodstream.
Contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- It is very beneficial for settling upset stomach and other digestive issues
- can reduce muscle pain and helps ease menstrual cramps
- Can also be used to avid diabetic issues as well as lower risk of infections
- Can be used in soups, sauces and marinades
Add a a few coin sized slices of peeled ginger to pot
Cover with 2 cups of
Simmer for 10-15 minutes
I hope this list has shown you how useful herbs can be for your diet and health needs. Incorporating these herbs in your diet not only adds flavor to your meals but also offers many benefits for your body. Take your time and experiment with one until you are more comfortable and learn what works for you. It is not a fast-paced process but may have some surprisingly beneficial effects on you.
If this sounds like something you’d like to study more about click here.
For more on using herbs check out my post Home Remedies
Until next time stay safe and positive. Remember a change is made one day at a time.